Tuesday, August 18, 2009

W3D2 Complete

We're down a running partner. Ash went home to visit family. But Diana and I are still plugging along. We finished week 3 day 2 this morning. Tomorrow will be the final day of week 3. Then I go home. But I plan on continuing at home by myself.

Anyway, this morning started off hard like it normally does. Its take at least the first 2 intervals to get me "warmed up." And in week 3, there are only 4 intervals. So by the last two, I'm ready for more.

At the end of interval 4, I sprinted. Bad idea. Well, let me back track... last Friday, I did my normal run/walk in the am and that night, I wanted to go on the treadmill so I could get an accurate time for 3 miles.

So I hit the gym and do a mile easily (or so I thought) I did it on a 2% increase and ran it at 6mph. But when my 1st mile was up, I looked at the time and did it at 10minutes. Which really sucks because I was thinking that I had been improving a lot in time. I though atleast 8-9 minutes. So that was very discouraging.

So I walked for 2 minutes and then started up mile 2. I ran that at 1% and ran at a speed of 6.8mph. By the end of the mile, I was dying. Not with my breathing or anything but my shins we aching! so I stopped after the 2nd mile and my time was a whole minute faster. (Nice.) Buuut I totally injured my shins. (Not so nice)

Anyway, I couldnt stand the thought of trucking in another mile so I walked for a few minutes and quit. I was so disappointed in myself. I know better then to push that hard. I knew that I would most likely get hurt but I did it anyway becuase I'm obsessed with time. And that in itself is annoying. I should be worried about distance and stanama but I just cant get the thought of time out of my mind.

I think it all goes back to highschool. In highschool, you ran a mile like twice a year. Normally I ran it about 7-8 minutes. Once I ran it in 6. Which is awesome, I was a teenager then and I COULD run it that fast. I'm 25 years old. I shouldn't be worried about what my time was in highschool. It's just stupid.. but I think it's just that competitive part of me. Weather Im competing against myself or someone else, it's always a competition to me.. and that's my problem..

Anyway, I'm a little sore in the shins but Ive been trying to RICE it all day and we'll see how it goes tomorrow..

2 comments:

  1. Good job Jackie! Just please be careful with shin pain. Mine started out small and now...well, you know. It's awful. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ramee. I was wondering how yours was healing. I hope that it's getting better for you.

    ReplyDelete