Saturday, June 11, 2011

Race the Waves 8k

This morning I did my first 8k. I guess it's kind of a step backwards from a 10k, but now I have one of each under my belt.

This race took place in Emerald Isle, Nc. I got up at 6:15, ate a bagel put on my flip flops and was out the door. Packet pick up was from 6:45-7:30 and the race started at 8:00.  I was really rushing to get there because I didn't realize that it was almost 40 minutes away. Whoops. So I get there, put my Vibrams on, go get my packet, and put on my bib. I met up with my friend, Cait and her Husband, Kyle. We stood around for what seemed like forever in the blistering sun. It was only 75 degrees, but the humidity was 85%. FUN!

The race started and I made sure I was the last to cross over the start line. I hate getting tangled up in all of that adrenaline when the gun goes off, so I normally hang back to ensure I can stay at a good pace.

This race was an out and back, (which I HATE) The first 2 miles were HOT. I'm not going to lie. I sweat like a mo fo! There was absolutely no wind or breeze.. just your breath and the humidity. The way back was so much better. I caught the breeze off the ocean and it felt so good. This route was actually hillier than my normal running route! Which really surprises me considering it's right by the ocean. But I welcomed a little challenge. I mean, these hills are nothing like what I used to do in Virginia and nothing like I've done in NY, but I've become so used to running on flat, that these "hills" were a nice little change.

Anyway, I finished in 50 minutes and some change. Which is okay with me. Thats a 10 minute a mile pace and thats what I normally do. Eventually Id like to step up my pace, but I'm not going to worry about. As long as I run the whole thing, no walking, and I finish, I'm happy. I have never walked a single race I've been in and I wont start now just because I decide to pick up my pace and tire myself out. Ya know?

I'm still looking to find the official time, but so far, nothings up. Oh, and I finished 3rd for my age group! Got a nice little medal and even stood on a podium! Lol..

Next up is the Firecracker 4 in Saratoga, Ny on July 4th! That is, unless I find something else down here and my foot heals before then! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment